1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
First a question. Why is "not" enclosed within asterisks? I'm somewhat unsure about this usage of the asterisk, as usually it seems to be a little wink at the reader ("I am *so* thrilled with this box full of plastic yarn!)- the asterisk of irony, if you will. But here, that makes no sense. How exactly does one dislike with irony? Here are yarns I've worked with and loved: Socks that Rock, Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb, Cascade 220, Rowan All Seasons Cotton, Manos, Malabrigo, Classic Elite Lush, Habu anything (see below), and Debbie Bliss Cashmerino anything. I'd love to try some new yarns, and I'm developing a yen for tweedy ones, sea silk, and all things Sundara.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
A big, disorganized basket and a Mason Jar. I would LOVE a system for my circular needles.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting for quite some time. However, we're currently studying the Greeks in school, so I'm hyper-aware of the great sin of hubris. Let's say I'm an intermedite plus.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, but it's ill-tended, so no.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Eucalyptus, rosemary- woody stuff. Though I really don't dig scented candles. Those stores with the giant candles with scents like "Grandma's 13-Flavor Poundcake" and "Ole Timey Logpile" give me nasal hives.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Not really. I'm a savory kind of gal. I do love the Ginger People candies. Candied ginger would be a great colorway name. (I have mixed feelings about the word "colorway," though.)
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I don't spin. I used to collect stickers. Scratch n' sniff, oilies...but I was nine then.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
The House of Frick rocks out to: Aimee Mann, Tori Amos, Beastie Boys, Madeline Peyroux, The Flaming Lips, They Might Be Giants, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Feist, Cat Power, Lucinda Williams, and The Sippy Cups, among many others.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I have a deep and abiding love for all things purple and red, but I enjoy just about all colors.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Mr. Frick, the Biscuit (see below) and I cohabitate with two unfriendly cats. In my wildest dreams, my secret pal volunteers to take them off my hands. They're beautiful on the outside, just like Tyra Banks. Fierce!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes. Though I prefer the terms "Isadora Duncans," "noggintoppers," and "wraps."
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I'm just getting into sweater mode, and it's been a blast so far. I'm pretty much pleased as punch to knit whatever catches my fancy. It's slow, and easy to catch.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Forecast and a seamless hybrid for Mr. Frick. I always have a pair of baby socks on the needles, because I have very fertile friends. Could you be one of them?
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Sure. Do you make cheese? Wine? Time?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I knit most everything on Addi Turbos. I prefer circs to dpns in most cases, though dpns are handy when burglers, rogues, and pundits are afoot.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yes! There was great rejoicing in the land on the date of their purchase.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Older than most cheese, but younger than most wine. (Bonus info: I love both wine and cheese.)
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Yell "fudge" at cobras day. Thanksgiving is also pretty cool.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I do collect nichos from the Cielito Lindo Studios in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. If you get me one, you are officially a rock star. Officially. I will make you a badge.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits. I'm considering investing in Knitpicks Options, as I have a giant needle collection and still never have the size I need. I've recently discovered the wonders of the library for knitting books, but would love to start an Elizabeth Zimmerman collection.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to learn the two-handed color technique so that I can knit Mr. Frick a We Call Them Pirates.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, 8 and a half. I'm jonesing for some knee socks. Any takers?
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) August 11, Midnight, Sharp. A birthday shared with Hulk Hogan and this man, whom I despise. As I was born at midnight, I might also claim to share a birthday with Suzanne Vega, Mark Knopfler, and Sir Mix-a-Lot.
Now that's better.